It was the Easter candy. And you should be ashamed of yourself. Yes, I know the giant chocolate bunny was on sale. Yes, I realize it was so cute, you had to consume it's itty wittle face all in one sitting. But now look at yourself. Your body is making you pay for all that crappy pastel candy you've pumped into it.
It's time for a clense.
Not that lemon cayenne stuff. Or the other stuff that makes poop come out of every orifice. I'm talking something that you want to eat. A cupcake. With lots of vegetables. And enough ginger to really cleanse your system. So go bake. Enjoy. And don't touch any more of those Cadbury creme eggs. You'll regret it.
Ginger Carrot Cupcake
Adapted from Sweetapolita
Makes about 16 cupcakes
2 cups carrot paste (very finely chopped in the food processor)
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup crystallized ginger (finely chopped)
zest of one large navel orange
1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
3/4 cups flour
1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup skim milk
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together your pulsed and grated carrot with both types of ginger and orange zest. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2) Whip together your butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add your eggs, one at a time, and continue to mix well. Add vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, fold in half of your dry ingredients. Add the milk and continue to mix. Finally, add the rest of your dry ingredients and mix until your batter comes together.
3) Spoon three tablespoons into each cupcake liner. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until your cake tester comes out clean and the tops have darkened. Set out to cool before frosting.
Carrot Marshmallowy Frosting
1/4 cup fresh carrot juice (all natural, no sweeteners or cocktails)
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) In heatproof bowl, whisk together the carrot juice, sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Set the bowl over saucepan of simmering water and beat constantly until mixture holds stiff peaks (about 5 to 7 minutes).
2) Remove from saucepan. Beat until frosting is cooled, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Enjoy!