Since my partner of crime has warmed up to the concept, I hope to be sharing a lot more of the vegan recipes I've got kicking around the test kitchen with you. I'm going to start with my favourite vegan take on a classic menu item. Our original Lime in the Coconut cakes are light, fluffy, and flavourful. Our vegan version is (gasp!) lighter, fluffier, and way more flavourful than the original.
I know quite a few of you have had vegan cupcakes that you've turned your nose up at. I promise you that you don't have to be vegan to enjoy these. In fact, I would encourage you to open up to new possibilities - especially when it involves cake and frosting. Baking (and eating) vegan is a bit tough sometimes, but it can be just as good as the original. Or, in this case, better than the original.
Vegan Lime in the Coconut Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk (I use a lighter version)
1/4 cup soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tablespoon lime zest
1 cup shredded coconut
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
2) Whisk together the oil and sugar until the texture has lightened. Add the vanilla extract and lime zest, then the coconut milk and soy milk. Mix until completely combined. Slowly add the dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add the coconut and continue to stir slowly until everything is distributed. Don't worry it if looks a little lumpy - it's better not to overmix!
3) Pour batter into 12 cupcake liners and bake for about 25 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and your cake tester comes out clean.
Lime Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup vegan non-hydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup vegan non-hydrogenated margarine
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
The zest of one small lime
Shredded coconut for decoration
1) With an electric mixer, mix together the shortening and margarine until fluffy. Add the lime zest. Add the sugar and mix until fluffy. Add vanilla and lime juice and continue to mix until combined.
2) Frost your cool cupcakes, then sprinkle with shredded coconut. Enjoy!